Wednesday, February 11, 2009
What's in a name? Coming up with a name for your little one is by far the hardest thing to do! I mean, come on now...poor child will be stuck with this name for life. Kids can be cruel at a young age and seriously...they can say the darnest things that can even make your child cry...name calling, poking fun. It's a cruel world out there. And you don't want your child to be the center of attention in the madness of poking fun. That's just sad. Parents...really, what are you thinking when you name your child...Bertha or Herbert. How about those celebrities who come up with the unique fruits and vegetables to name their child...Apple? Coco? How about Frank Zappa's kid---Moon Unit? Horrible...that's all I can say.
Toe-MAY-toe....Toe-MAH-toe. How you spell it, can really make a difference in how you say it. Yes, I want my daughter's name to be unique, cute, original...but nothing too crazy. It has to have a nice ring when you say it out loud, nevertheless make sense when you see it on paper as well. Personally, I hate my name...my mom says she loved Barbies and thought they were the most beautiful thing so she named me after the picture perfect, not proportional dolls. Hence my nickname, "Barbie." I guess it's cute for a little girl...but believe me I was teased as a child. Barbara Bush? God it makes me sound older when I say my name...that's how I associate my name...and elderly, white woman. *Ahem, excuse me* There's not that many Asian Barbara's that I know of...except for one other and she's my age. So that makes two in the world. haha.
So in the midst of figuring out a name...hubby and I decided to keep it to ourselves once the baby is born to avoid the..."Oh I used to have a dog by that name"...or "I knew someone of that name who did this and that...blah blah"